Articles are primarily composed of essays, investigative reports, think pieces, opinion columns, cultural criticism, fiction, and humor pieces.
Colorlines was established in 1998 by the Applied Research Center, a public policy institute.
- Outstanding Magazine Article, GLAAD nomination, 2009
- Watchdog award winner, Chicago Headline Club, 2008
- General Excellence Award, Utne Reader, 2007
- Best Cultural and Social Coverage, Utne Reader, 2005
- Outstanding Magazine Article, GLAAD nomination, 2005
- Best Political Magazine, East Bay Express, 2004
- Best Investigative/In-Depth Article, New America Media, 2004